Re: Sound problem: My green output jack doesn't relay any data.

En/La Xeno Campanoli ha escrit, a 27/06/05 07:50:
> I've got three jacks together on my T3985 (Celeron system with all the
> stuff in the motherboard):
>
>    My new debian system doesn't relay any sound to my speakers.  I've
> tried two sets of speakers, and both sets work on my other system's cd
> drive jack.  The sound plug area in the back of my new system has three
> holes, and the "line out" output is the same green plastic as the male
> part on the wire to the speakers.  The other two holes say MIC (orange)
> and "line out" (light blue).  Another system I recently tried to install
> linux on also could not put sound out and it also had the same three
> jack holes (apparently that's popular now?).  I wonder if the driver
> expects only one or two holes and is confused by seeing three?
>
> I've looked at some postings about problems like this, and none seems to
> match mine exactly.  One said the guy could play on root, but I tried
> that with cdplay start on this, and it still didn't make noise.  I'm not
> sure what else to look for.
>
> I think the special files are /dev/dsp*,  and I changed these to
> protection 666.  I run CD Player
> to test the sound and it runs and identifies a Duke Ellington CD, but
> the sound just don't come out even though it shows the CD playing.
>
> I'm not sure if the drivers for audio are all there.  The only thing I
> see is something called "soundcore", but perhaps that's all that's needed:
<snip>
Dear Xeno,
I'm running Debian Etch and have a similar 3 plug arrangement in back.
One for the mike and sound left, sound right. It might help if you gave
us a bit of info on your system. Which Debian are you running? Have you
 installed alsa (lots of postings about how to do that). The more info
you give the easier it is to help.
Jonathan

--
Please don't cc: your posting to my personal address.
Thank you.