newbie can't install 3.1

I don't know much, and figured the best way to learn linux is by having it. Unfortunately, the installation looked like it only half succeeded. The gui won't work, and it won't auto-config my network card (I'm often on a big lan, and windows works). Of that I am certain, and other things might not work either. I'm seeing a lot of "blabbedy blah failed to load" or similar in the boot-up process. Unfortunately, I can't take screenshots to troubleshoot, because I have to reboot to run windows, the OS where I can get on the internet, and therefore any possible support. Any help would be most appreciated. I'm sorry if I'm asking the wrong people, but I just haven't seen any newbie faqs or mailing lists.

Thanks
Dan