Re: About blackdown

On Sunday 26 June 2005 08:21 am, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 07:37:05PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > make it work.  In the long run, I'd love it if I could compile my program
> > for Linux, OSX, and Windows, with all executable and library files in one
> > or a few directories on an install CD, and easily copy that directory
> > tree over to the target system.
>
> You might want to look at the wxWindows/wxWidgets library (it changed its
> name recently).  It does run on Linux, Windows, Mac, and a variety of
> Unixes.

I looked at wxWindows, but at the time they had bindings for Perl (the
language I was using and had learned -- other than Javascript/HTML) for Linux
and Windows, but not Mac.

> > I'm probably wrong on this, but I didn't think Qt could
> > be used from Java, and I don't know C or C++.
>
> But it does stick you with the misfortune of programming in C++.
> There does seem to be a Python binding, though.

When I started this, I did my first program in TCL (hated it, but it had what
I needed).  Then I saw "Learning Perl" on special for $7 at a store.  At that
time I was broke, so that was a real deal.  I bought it and learned Perl in
something like 2-3 hours (it took me 3 weeks to learn Java enough to
understand OOP, which I had never used before).  I don't know if I would have
understood Python at the first, but it would have been a huge help if I had
learned it instead of Perl, since I know Python has bindings for many cross
platform GUIs.  But Java has worked well and I like Perl.  It would be nice,
though, to install binaries on a client's system -- just one less extra
program to install.

> But is there any problem getting your clients to use Sun's Java?

There's no problem with getting them to use it.  My program has to install
Sun's JVM, OpenOffice, and itself.  I want as small a footprint as possible.
For example, one client had a friend install a new printer for him, and my
program stopped working.  I logged in to his system with TightVNC and found
that when they installed the printer, it wiped out OOo.  I don't know if his
friend did it, or if it was one of those stupid Windows things.  I also
wouldn't want to deal with some older, obsolete program that tries to get him
to use an older version of Java.  I know that should not happen, but I
remember it happening to me a few years back on Windows.

Hal