Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

On (24/06/05 23:29), Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:05:34AM -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> >    Now I'm worried.  Note: I don't have a reiserfs file system, only an
> >    ext3 fs since day one on all partitions.
> >
> >    If anyone can help me to get the system bootable again, I think I can
> >    correct the lilo.conf problem by myself
> >
> >    at least if the initrd.img thing is covered in the lilo man.  I've
> >    totally reinstalled Debian about twice the number of months I've used
> >    Debian(6 months) and most were due to config issues, one due to
> >    filling up / even though I followed Debian recommendations.  I had
> >    Sarge 2.6.8-2-686 installed through dist-upgrade and, believe it or
> >    not, the installation config questions asked were very much different
> >    than the stable sarge.  Maybe Debian will someday provide enough
> >    explanations so a newbie doesn't have to guess what to select.  Also,
>
> Debian is not reccommended for newbies. Ubuntu, Kantonix etc are more for
> newbies I think. The documentation is improving. There has been many
> times where I have read a HOWTO or similar only to be left scratching my
> head in wonder. :-O

Hi Chris

IMHO this is misleading.  I was a newbie on woody (ppc) and although it was
steep learning curve, I'm really glad I persevered.  The new sarge
installer makes installation a lot easier.  However, I would agree that
alternative debian derived distros can offer a quick way into Linux but it
does leave you with a much less flexible installation in terms of new
packages etc.

A really easy distro is Beatrix (cut down ubuntu); it is small (c.200mb)
slick and has all the applications a typical user might need; it has the
added advantage of being a 'live' CD as well.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...