Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 01:35:23PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (24/06/05 23:29), Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:05:34AM -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > >    Now I'm worried.  Note: I don't have a reiserfs file system, only an
> > >    ext3 fs since day one on all partitions.
> > >
> > >    If anyone can help me to get the system bootable again, I think I can
> > >    correct the lilo.conf problem by myself
> > >
> > >    at least if the initrd.img thing is covered in the lilo man.  I've
> > >    totally reinstalled Debian about twice the number of months I've used
> > >    Debian(6 months) and most were due to config issues, one due to
> > >    filling up / even though I followed Debian recommendations.  I had
> > >    Sarge 2.6.8-2-686 installed through dist-upgrade and, believe it or
> > >    not, the installation config questions asked were very much different
> > >    than the stable sarge.  Maybe Debian will someday provide enough
> > >    explanations so a newbie doesn't have to guess what to select.  Also,
> >
> > Debian is not reccommended for newbies. Ubuntu, Kantonix etc are more for
> > newbies I think. The documentation is improving. There has been many
> > times where I have read a HOWTO or similar only to be left scratching my
> > head in wonder. :-O
>
> Hi Chris

Hi Clive,

> IMHO this is misleading.

Yeah, maybe ... "Debian is reccommended for average to advanced users
but if you are a newbie stick with it; you'll be glad in the end"
Don't know if average is the right word.

> I was a newbie on woody (ppc)
[..]

I was a newbie on slink on old 386 (8M RAM + small HDD, 10G was big!)
with no connection to net :-( -- had to use floppies 'n' back then
libc6 would fit on one! Had to get shown how to mount a floppy, a real
luser :-) Hell, that wasn't that long ago.

The frustrating thing was making sense of the documentation; spelling
and grammatical errors in key places. I wasn't aware of the open source
concept of submitting patches/bugs.

ooops starting to rabbit on ...

--
Chris.