devmapper mount names

A basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to (maybe not so basic?).

Using LVM and therefore devmapper, the volume names are such that they are accessible under /dev/mapper/<PV_Name>-<LV_Name>. Likewise, these names are used in reporting (du, df, mount, etc...). I would prefer to have the volumes reported directly as their dev names, so /dev/mapper/volgroup-root should be /dev/volgroup/root. The volumes are accessible this way, and if I use those entries in fstab it works fine, but still get reported under the /dev/mapper/* headers.

My best guess is that it has something to do with the order of the lookup of devices, but I don't have any idea how to modify that. Is this possible? Is there a reason not to want such a presentation?

Joel Johnson