Re: ALSA: no sound, no error!

(in my earlier reply, I accidently sent it only to the author. apologies
for that).

Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> En/La [KS] ha escrit, a 23/06/05 20:42:
> <snip>
>
>>Ah, that made sound work. Thanks. But the solution does not seem to
>>solve the problem permanently. The sound came back after stopping alsa,
>>removing the file asound.state and then starting alsa again. However,
>>there was no sound when I rebooted the machine.
>>
>>Just checking a little more about asound.state, I checked the diff of
>>the file before sound was working and after sound was working. There was
>>no difference! So although sound works, it hasn't solved the problem
>>completely.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>/KS
>

> Since you're running kde, have a look at the control centre > sound &
> multimedia > sound system > hardware tab

Yes, it is set to ALSA and full duplex.

> Is it set to Alsa? I've noticed that when it's set to auto some of my
> apps are unhappy and don't produce sound. This is corrected when I
> switch to alsa. Also don't forget to run
> #alsactl store

I did that too. After reboot, I can hear noise when I do cat
/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp. But the sound stops working as soon as I login
to KDE! I notice that after I log into KDE, I have to stop alsa, remove
the file from /var/lib/alsa and start alsa again to get sound working
again. At present, sound is working perfectly, but /var/lib/alsa has no
file in it. Does that make any sense?

thanks.