Re: Installing custom kernel-image fails on LVM error - I'm lost :/

Hello

Mart Frauenlob (<mart.frauenlob@chello.at>) wrote:

> What i'm trying to do:
> Install a custom kernel-image build with debian kernel-source and
> make-dpkg. I try to trimm down the kernel to hold only what is
> absolutely necessary. Also i try to compile directly into the kernel
> whatever i think of useful (performance).
>
> When i set in menuconfig to compile RAID and LVM support directly into
> the kernel, the 'dpkg -i' process ends with the following error
> message:
>
> [...]
> (2005.06.22.00.00) ... File descriptor 3 left open File descriptor 4
> left open File descriptor 5 left open
> File descriptor 6 left open
> File descriptor 7 left open
>      Finding all volume groups
>      Finding volume group "vg0"
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/mapper/vg0-lv_swap: Kernel does not support
> LVM Failed to create initrd image.
>
> When raid and lvm are compiled as loadable kernel modules, this does
> not happen.
>
> My make-kpkg command is:
> make-kpkg --initrd --config=menuconfig --append-to-version
> -16-i386-smp-$(hostname) --revision $(date +'%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M')
> kernel_image

If you compile all of the drivers you need to boot (RAID/LVM, root file
system, hard disk, disk controller) into the kernel, you do not need
the initrd. Did you try to run make-kpkg without --initrd?

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976