Re: Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

Alan Chandler wrote:

>I have decided the time has come to learn java and use it to develop some web
>based applications.  In particular I have a family tree project I want to
>conduct.
>
>I am a complete newbie as far as java is concerned.
>
>I have two debian environments.
>
>Server:  Runs Sarge - and is running Apache2 and Postgres.  I will want the
>ultimate application to run on here (on Tomcat?) and provide its UI via the
>web site and use Postgres database to store its data.
>
>Apache runs several virtual hosts - one is my current external web site for
>http: access, and also a separate one for https: access I also run two
>internal (to my lan web sites).  Since I want my relatives to be able to add
>information to my family try from external - I will use one of them for my
>"production" version of the application (depends on security controls I
>decide to adopt).  I will also run the "development" version of the
>application on one of the internal web sites.
>
>Workstation:  Runs Debian Unstable with KDE as my desktop.
>

>So my questions are:
>
>1) What tools do I need to develop the application.   This includes code
>editiing, build environment, unit testing, I tried to setup eclipse on my
>workstation but there are unsatisfied dependencies (java runtime?).

Netbeans : http://www.netbeans.org
the best java ide i see so far

>[Assume I can choose my configuration management environment - subversion
>probably (and especially if its integrated into an IDE) - but I am also
>considering others]
>
>2) What run time environment
>
>[I am assuming from my current position of ignorance that I want to develop
>servlets and jsp pages for this application].
>
>Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible

You might want to search debian java information as many as possible.
You might want to join debian-java mailing list.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com