Re: sources.list says my Sarge is unstable

Hello

Alexandre Irrthum (<Alexandre.Irrthum@icr.ac.uk>) wrote:

> I'm discovering Debian and just installed Debian 3.1 r0a (Sarge). The
> /etc/apt/sources.list file confuses me. Why are the cdrom sources
> marked as unstable if Sarge is now stable ?

That "problem" has been there for a long time, even when I installed
Woody three years ago my Woody CDs where marked "unstable". This is
however not a real problem. I think the Release files are more
important. You can however change this manually. Install the rename
package, go to /var/lib/apt/lists, and run:

rename s/unstable/sarge/g *

This will change unstable to sarge in all file names (*). If you do use
unstable sources, use a file pattern that only includes the CDROM
Packages and Release files. Next, edit your sources.list and change the
deb lines from "unstable" to "sarge".

> Why is the first line commented out ?

I think this line was used during the installation. It only works if the
CD/DVD is already mounted - using that line, apt is not able to mount
the CD/DVD itself. You can remove the line.

> Is the last line, added by me, OK, or is it better to put
> sarge/updates instead of stable/updates ?
> [...]
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

I prefer to use sarge instead of stable. Once the next release becomes
stable, you will still stay with sarge until you decide th switch. If
etch is released as stable without you noticing, and you upgrade using
stable in your sources.list, you will more or less automatically
upgrade to the new version, probably without takink the necessary
precautions (yes, this /does/ happen).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270