Re: What is device 03:4c?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:36:04PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> >The original system can read and write the reiserfs, so I presume the
> >copy would have the same drivers.
> >
> >Unless, of course, some boot process needs to read the root partition
> >before it has discovered the reiser kernel modules.  Is that likely?
> >Just when *does* the boot process load its modules from /boot?  Does
> >it have to read from /etc first?  Could that be the problem?
>
> Not only /etc but /lib/modules too. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem.
> You could try compiling in the reiser module(s).
>
> >I still have another empty partition available : /dev/hdb13,
> >the same size as /dev/hdb12,  the root partition for
> >the copy.  I suppose I could make /dev/hdb13 into an ext2
> >file system,  copy /dev/hdb12 into it, and see if that boots.
> >It would answer questions whether the use of reiserfs is the
> >problem.
>
> Sounds like you're on the right track.

Yes.  It is starting to make sense now.  And the sarge system I have
on another machine, entirely in reiser, presumably has the reiser
modules compiled into its kernel.

So once I have upgraded my ext2 copy top sarge and then upgraded
to a spamking new sarge kernel, I should be able to clone it
onto a reiser file system and get it all to work.

Thanks.  It's been good thinking with you.  I'll post again when
I've managed to get things working -- or not.  Presumably in a day or two.

-- hendrik