What is device 03:4c?

Upon booting a reiserfs copy of my woody system, I am told,

Can't find a Minix of Minix v2 filesystem on device 03:46
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev2/root
    or too many mounted file systems

and other such messages, repeated about mot being able to find a FAT
file system either.

Shortly thereafter, it says,

can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: cannot open /dev/console: no such file
Kernel panic:  Attembted to kill init!

After that, things are pretty quiet.

Now.  I'd like to know what device 03:46 is, and what /dev2/root
is.  It might help me figure out what's wrong!

Could it be that woody can't boot when / is a reiserfs?

-- hendrik