Re: What is device 03:4c?

Hendrik Boom wrote:

The actual MBR used for both the failing boot and the successful boot
are on /dev/fd0.  LILO was told boot=/dev/fd0. It's remarkably safe
to play with a floppy's MBRs, because you can have so many of them.

There is a "feature" (bug?) in LILO that I've never quite understood but
have worked around by always making any intended second target boot/root
partition the "first" drive in the system (either by removing the exist
hda/sda or by changing the target partition to hda/sda). Then I boot with
a rescue floppy kernel, specifying the target boot/root partition on the
LILO boot option line, and then running lilo after booting up.  It's a
pain in the butt, but I have learned to live with it.

If I don't do it this way, lilo always seems to write the MBR to the "first"
drive's partition (the one I booted up on) instead of the new one I specify
in lilo.conf.

Running LILO with one or more -v options may clarify whether you are running
into this issue.  If you have this problem you will need a rescue floppy or
standalone CD-ROM that supports reiser fs.

The successful boot has /boot on /dev/hda8, and it is not marked bootable
Its / is on /dev/hdb5.  Neither /dev/hda8 and /dev/hdb5 are not marked
bootable, but the boot works.

The only obvious difference are
	the partitions are in different places on the hard disk
	when /boot is marked bootable, it fails
	the failing boot is the only one with / being reiserfs.
	The others are ext2.

Another obvious question: Did you check to make sure your reiser partition
kernel has the drivers or modules required to support reiser fs?

-- hendrik