Re: Sarge Upgrade DEBOCLE ! ! !

Brian Kimsey-Hickman wrote:
Thanks Kent, that did the trick

"touch /etc/X11/Xserver" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade -f"

I am still having problems with a few application but at least my
installations are not erring out like they were before.

Brian

From what I found from the Debian Weekly Newsletter, there does seem to be some real problems with the upgrade process. It is claimed to be from circular dependency/references in Woody.

I am also under the impression that while the release was completed and the new product appears to be very good, there are some lessons to be learned about the upgrade process.

From what I can remember from previous attempts to do ugly upgrades it went something like this:

upgrade force what you can.
For the rest, if something is pretty loused up, back up the configurations, purge all the packages, reinstall those packages. It's not ideal, but better than fdisk. I remember having to do that with X at least once. But that was at a time when I was routinely being so careless as up upgrade everything to unstable and then downgrade to stable and end up somewhere inbetween. Not recommended.