Re: Enabling apache2 and ssl - is there an easy way?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:18:06PM +1000, Robert S wrote:

> "Andy Smith" <andy@lug.org.uk> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20050620130640.GQ754@strugglers.net">news:[🔎] 20050620130640.GQ754@strugglers.net...
> > Please explain exactly what you are having problems with.
>
> The first problem is that apache2 - ssl does not work "out of the box" like
> it does in apache1.

Maybe not, but it is really very simple.

> You need to generate certificate files etc manually,
> and create a new config file.  Are there any "official" guides on how to do
> this?

I am not aware of any but this is one I found useful:

http://deb.riseup.net/web-server/apache2/ssl/
http://deb.riseup.net/web-server/ssl/self-signed-certs/

Other problems include:

> 1. Unable to make the DocumentRoot for http and https different (its simple
> with apache1 - config files are in different locations)

Just make a new file in sites-available/ with a vhost that is ssl
only, e.g.:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.2:443>
        DocumentRoot /var/www-ssl/
        ServerName secure.example.com

        SSLEngine on
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/apache2.secure.example.com_cert.pem
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/apache2.secure.example.com_key.pem
</VirtualHost>

and then enable that site.

> 2. For some reason, my browser tries to download the output of "index.php"
> in my root directory, but not in a subdirectory ie: http://mysite does not
> work, but http://mysite/another and http://mysite/inded.php are OK.

I would need to see the relevant config to understand this one..

> I note that the "official" version of apache for sarge is still 1.3.33
> (listed in distrowatch.com).  I suspect that apache2 is for brave souls
> willing to get their hands dirty.

Not at all.  As far as I can see, apache2 and apache 1.3 have equal
status within sarge.  It works very well for me.  Apache2, PHP,
mod_ssl, DAV, ...

> I think I'll stick to 1.3.xx - its worked very well for the last year.

Argh, wish I'd read to the end before bothering to reply. :)