Re: Good backup software for Linux

Maurits van Rees wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:57:56PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

Siju George wrote:

Relational Database Systems (RDBMS) cannot be backed up while live.

This is just a fact of life, true for any backup system. It depends what guarantees of integrity you need and what table types you're using. I use InnoDB and want error-free backups so I just send '/etc/init.d/mysql stop' as my 'pre-client' command and '/etc/init.d/mysql start' afterwards. An alternative is to run a mysql replica. I recommend 'High Performance MySQL' by Zawodny & Balling for a survey of issues and techniques.

I recommend using mysqlhotcopy:

This doesn't work for InnoDB tables. There is a paid-for equivalent.

Also: take a look at mysqldump. Something like:

This takes a very long time (which locks the server) and produces a huge file.

Better to backup the tablespace after synchronising it by either stopping the server, locking a replica, or using LVM plus flushing, IMHO.

Cheers, Dave