Re: Good backup software for Linux

On 6/20/05, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Siju George wrote:
> >  Could some one please tell me a good backup software for Linux.
> <snip>
> > Now I should be able to restore "dir1" from "backup2" with only "fle1"
> > and "file2"
>
> You might want to take a look at dirvish, which can certainly do this.
> Every differential backup looks like a full backup. Seems to work.
> www.dirvish.org

Hi Dave,

ome of the folders I want to backup regularly is

/var/lib/mysql

but

http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/dirvish_backup/snapshot.html

2.3. Practical Considerations

says

Relational Database Systems (RDBMS) cannot be backed up while live.

and

Likewise, if there is a high file creation or modification turnover
rate, the storage space required for each new snapshot will be large.
Such will be the case when backing up RDBMS dumps and log files.

kind regards

siju