Boot hang at "Starting: MTA"

Greetings:

I was traveling on business and attempted to connect to the Internet (mail and
browse) via a network at the office where I was working. Now that I'm home I
notice that when booting the system hangs for approximately 60 seconds at
"Starting: MTA."

I'm pretty green with Linux, but I'm guessing that the mail transfer agent is
looking for a mail source (network) that is no longer connected. Is that
correct? Whatever the problem, what do I do to fix the situation?

My system is running Debian Sarge on an IBM R40 laptop with a Linksys
EtherFast 10/100 + 56k modem PC card.

- Elmer E. Dow