Re: Initial install question

Mark Fletcher wrote (in top-posting format - arghgh!):

> In addition to that you need a display manager

A display manager is optional, so I'd hesitate to use the phrase "you
need". Without a display manager, you can still start X with the
"startx" command.

> , of which there are 3 mainstream ones, XDM, GDM (Also known as GNOME)
> and KDM.

I would also consider WDM as mainstream.

Also, a nit. GDM is not "also known as GNOME"; GDM is part of Gnome,
just as KDM is part of KDE. Both GDM and KDM are the display (or login)
managers of their respective desktop environments.

> Quickest way to take yourself forward from this point is probably to
> run 'apt-get install gdm' or 'apt-get install kdm' as root.

Which will install the display manager, but may not install the matching
desktop environment.

I would suggest:

#aptitude install x-window-system icewm

which will get the base X system installed along with a decent window
manager. At this point, "startx" should start X and the Icewm window
manager.

#aptitude install kde gnome

which will install both the KDE and Gnome desktop environments,
including KDM and GDM - you should be prompted for your preferred
display manager. At this point, rebooting (or starting KDM/GDM) should
start a graphical login screen, at which time you can log into KDE,
Gnome, or any other desktop environment / window manager you have
installed (and which is known to that login manager).

> You'll be asked some questions about your graphics hardware so make
> sure you know make, chipset

The command "lspci" might be of help here.

--
Kent West
Technology Support