Re: Initial install question

Simon Kitching wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 03:32 -0500, Mark Anderson wrote:
>

>>I can't get beyond this to the GUI.
>>

>* type "apt-get x-window-system-core" to install the basic graphics
>  system

That should be "apt-get install x-window-system-core".

>I don't know if your graphics will be properly
>configured, though: you've skipped the hardware detection that's built
>in to the installer and I don't know how to manually run that.

The above command should run a series of questions for video settings.
You can manually re-run these questions with "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86".

>You might also want to try running "aptitute" as the root user.

"aptitude", not "aptitute".  aptitude is generally considered to be the
way of the future. By itself, it's menu driven, or you can use it just
like apt-get at the command line, which is the way I usually run it.
(The menu is too confusing to me - I'm dense, I guess.)

--
Kent