Re: Initial install question

Simon Kitching:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 03:32 -0500, Mark Anderson wrote:
> > Greetings. I just installed Debian using the ISOs from your site.
> > Everything went fine and then i got the "login" command. At this point
> > I typed in my username and password and what i got was this:
> > name@debianhome: ~S:  (the "name" being my username i made during
> > install). I can't get beyond this to the GUI. I have little knowledge
> > of command line use and none of Linux in general, which i imagine is
> > obvious by now :) I would appreciate help in how to get beyond the
> > point i've descibed above. Thank you.

One hint: I didn't read your original email since it was HTML-only. many
people here (including me) use console mail/Usenet software and we
really love plaintext.

You might want to take a look at http://www.debian.org/doc/ for general
Linux and Debian information.

> * type "apt-get x-window-system-core" to install the basic graphics
>   system

typo: 'apt-get install x-window-system-core'. The installation scripts
should ask enough questions to deliver a usable configuration. If not,
run xf86cfg.

> I think that's all you need; after that rebooting should give you a
> graphical logon.

No need to reboot. Just run '/etc/init.d/gdm restart' as root. If there
is no such script, apt-get install gdm.

> I don't know if your graphics will be properly
> configured, though: you've skipped the hardware detection that's built
> in to the installer and I don't know how to manually run that.

It's xf86cfg and should be run on installation of xserver-xfree86 (hwich
is a dependancy of x-window-system-core).

> If you
> selected the Gnome desktop then you might need to go into "applications|
> Desktop Preferences|Screen Resolution" to select a reasonable
> resolution. If you chose the KDE desktop option then there will no doubt
> be a similar option somewhere.

But as far as I know neither of them can change to higher resolutions
than those from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

J.
--
At night I go to the kitchen; specifically, the knife drawer.
[Agree]   [Disagree]