Re: XServer Randomly restarting

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:06:07 -0500
Mr Mike <mike@ejecta.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:50:52 -0400
> Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 18 June 2005 11:57 pm, Mr Mike wrote:
> > > A while back I was running a pure sarge system with several upgrades from
> > > the sid branch..  At some point my X Server began to 'restart' on it's own
> > > for no real apparent rhyme or reason.  ie, the action that triggered the
> > > restart one session could not always be duplicated in another one...
> > > Simple things like clinking the 'x' to close the window or clicking the
> > > background to bring up a menu.  Like I said, really random and
> > > unpredictable.  I've looked in xsession error log, syslog, messages, etc..
> > > and NOT a damn thing...  it's as if some invisible soul is lurking over my
> > > shoulder and pressing ctl+alt+bkspace every now and then just to piss me
> > > off...  One good thing to come of this is I've learned to save my work much
> > > more frequently...
> > >
> > > Anyway...  I'm now running a mixed ubuntu/sarge (mostly sarge) box and the
> > > issue remains although not as bad as in the past.  Is there some way I can
> > > figure out what in the world is causing this so I can formulate a
> > > resolution?  Or, is there something else I should look at, like hardware
> > > problems?
> > >
> > > TIA..
> > > mike..
> > > houston, tx
> >
> > Binary nVidia drivers with ' Option  "RenderAccel"   "true" '
> > in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, by any chance? I've seen it cause almost identical
> > behavior in the past...
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Schultz
> > -> floating point exception: divide by cucumber
> >

> Thanks Ryan, I wasnt' sure if i was using binary driver for video card or not..  took a look at xconfig and this is it..
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "GATEWAY VX900"
>         HorizSync       30-95
>         VertRefresh     50-160
>         Option          "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Search didn't turn up RenderAccel anywhere in the file either...
> Thanks for the hint...  will try to keep it in mind for future reference...  (like right..  along with the other 14 billion bits of linux stuff we're expected to learn.. LOL..)
>
> --
> Cheers: Mike
>
> ... Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...
>

> --

Stupid cut/paste.. :-(
here's the REAL deal from XF86Config-4

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
	Driver		"nv"
	BusID		"PCI:1:5:0"
	VideoRam	32768
EndSection

btw...  been having some real trouble keeping up with my mail due to a serious family illness...  but workin on it when I can...  This is really a true annoyance but not critical..  i've been living with it for a while now and some days it won't do it at all..  Go figure..  Anyway... I don't want to let it fester and have all intentions of trackin it down and puttin the nasty little thing to rest...  Just bear with my slow responses...