XServer Randomly restarting

A while back I was running a pure sarge system with several upgrades from the sid branch..  At some point my X Server began to 'restart' on it's own for no real apparent rhyme or reason.  ie, the action that triggered the restart one session could not always be duplicated in another one...  Simple things like clinking the 'x' to close the window or clicking the background to bring up a menu.  Like I said, really random and unpredictable.  I've looked in xsession error log, syslog, messages, etc.. and NOT a damn thing...  it's as if some invisible soul is lurking over my shoulder and pressing ctl+alt+bkspace every now and then just to piss me off...  One good thing to come of this is I've learned to save my work much more frequently...

Anyway...  I'm now running a mixed ubuntu/sarge (mostly sarge) box and the issue remains although not as bad as in the past.  Is there some way I can figure out what in the world is causing this so I can formulate a resolution?  Or, is there something else I should look at, like hardware problems?

TIA..
mike..
houston, tx