Ext hd trouble

Like I wrote in my first mail I got Sarge installed on my computer and it is pretty new installation and I allso got all my backupfiles created from Fedora on a maxtor onetouch. The problem is,,,that I cant get the external usb disc to be recognized by my new system (Debian sarge) I have installed hotplug and allso libntfs and usbmount and mount cause I am not shure if the external disc is reiser ext3 or ntfs but still I am shure it would be missing some part to get the disc to show up in my /devices folder cause this was no problem in fedora or even in knoppix witch are debianbased and I am pretty shure there are something more cause it is the same problem with my camera and mp3 player as well. and the point is that I was wounder if it is something more in synaptic that I can install to get a tool to automount these things.
With regards Christer