Re: Copy protected CD's

Andrew Schulman <andrex@alumni.utexas.net> writes:

> Does anyone know the details?  Some Windows-specific driver that's
> required to read the tracks?  And how does it know how many times
> you've ripped a song-- stashing counts in the registry some place, or
> in a hidden part of the hard drive?

Presumably it uses a data track and Windows' nasty
auto-run-executable-on-CD feature to create the actual annoying
messages. I guess that in itself would prevent ripping by some
particularly naive Windows users.

Of course, it might well be combine with some actual copy protection
scheme that involves damaging the CD in some way.