gnome-control-center vs kde - side effects on font sizes

I have a brand-new install of Knoppix 3.9 with KDE 3.4.
I ran GAIM/firefox, the fonts were too small.
I ran gnome-control-center, and without changing any settings, just entering the font config, they were fixed. But now my kde fonts are too big (only for SOME applications though - which is REALLY strange - umbrello in particular, and sometimes kmail ).

How can I keep gnome-control-center from screwing up my KDE font sizes? KDE thinks it's 12 point when actually it looks more like 15, so all of its font measurements are off.

--
University of Victoria
Department of Computer Science