Re: apache 1.3 to 2.0 migration

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:44:02AM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Jun 2005 11:42, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> > I now have a need to switch to apache 2.0 (have started using python
> > and cherrypy in my sites, the latter of which does have more
> > functionality under apache 2.0).
> >
> > Are they any special gotcha's that I need to watch for in the
> > migration process?  I plan to apt-get install apache 2.0 using port
> > 8080 alongside the existing 1.3, which uses port 80.  Once I get the
> > httpd.conf settings tweaked and all works o.k. on port 8080, I'll
> > uninstall apache 1.3 and set 2.0 to listen on port 80 and be done.
> >
> > Will this work?
>
> I think that'll work fine, yes.  Apache 2 splits its config into separate
> files, in /etc/apache2/modules-{enabled,available}
> and /etc/apache2/sites-{enabled,available}.

In addition, be sure to skim over the general (not debian-specific)
changes documented in

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/new_features_2_0.html

Otherwise, I'd just migrate (alongside a working 1.3 install) to find
out what does no longer work...  Depending on how complex your config
is, a few minor tweaks might be needed.  In that case, have a look at
the docs specific to the module that the error seems to be related
to... (e.g. things like the directive SuexecUserGroup for mod_suexec
replacing User/Group directives in virtual host sections).

Cheers,
Almut