Re: Is 'rename' missing or is it just me?

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 01:35:25PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (18/06/05 00:10), Carl Fink wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Have you tried mmv at all? ...
> >
> > [more snipping]
> >
> > For someone like me who never learned regexps, krename works fine.
>
> Please forgive a dumb question.  Why would you use 'rename' rather 'mv'?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Read a little higher up in this thread.  Since rename is part of perl,
it takes a perl-compatible regexp to apply to whichever files you want.
Say, for example, you have a directory full (500) of files you exported
from OpenOffice as RTF format, but you want to rename them to DOC files
so that the Windows users don't get confused.

rename 's/rtf$/doc/' *.rtf

Of course, you can use an arbitrary regexp.  It is really nice for large
renaming jobs.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez