Re: Is 'rename' missing or is it just me?

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 21:49 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
--snip--
> Of course, the difference between it and the lame MS-DOS version is that
> you use a perl-compatible regexp to specify the rename scheme.  Thus, if
> you got and take 100 pictures with your digital camera and want to
> change the default names (mine does something like DSCxxxx.JPG, where
> the xxxx is one-up numbered), you specify:
>
> rename 's/DSC/Birthday2005-/' *.JPG
>
> It is really much nicer than manually renaming hundreds of files, which
> I recall doing when I was an unfortunate Windows user.

Have you tried mmv at all? I've been using it for quite a while and I've
found it invaluable. While the pattern matching isn't quite up to par
with the power of a Perl regexp it's got quite a few options which make
life a LOT easier. It can match files n-levels deep in a directory tree,
arbitrarily move parts of a file-name around (e.g. rename foo-bar.jpg to
bar-foo.jpg), and my favorite feature, uppercase or lowercase individual
parts of a file-name. Quite a nice little tool.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837