newbie pointers request

Can anyone point me to web-based documentation for newbies that would contain
tips, hints, and lead-me-by-the-hand directions on configuring my new Sarge
install?  Or have I just made a big mistake in choosing Debian over, say, any
one of the 100's of other distributions?  I am familiar with Unix as a user,
but now I need to learn administration tasks like basic configuration of
peripherals, system backup, os upgrading, samba config (for a few home
computers, one running Windoze).  And I like the Debian delevopment
philosophy.

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the variety of advice I'm get, most of which is
narrowly focussed on one little aspect of what I need to do.  I'm looking for
the "guide to new admin's of Debian GNU/Linux system:  the newbie
version."  (And, no, there is no local unix group in the remote area in which
I live.)

Thanks,

Andy