Re: ssh: No route to host

John Wilkes wrote:

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 22:56 +0200, Guillaume TESSIER wrote:
NAT translation is not a concept i can resume in some lines.
But , broadly, it works like this :

For exemple, you have ssh server (your mum'smachine) that has a private (non routable through the internet) like 192.168.121.200 and listening for ssh connection onto port 22. Your routeur is the only machine that has a routable ip though the internet. And it has a NAt table (and iptables forward rules) so that when you do a ssh request on that routeur, the router pass the request to the right machine of your LAN.

Therefore, if you have several ssh serveurs in your LAN, you need them to listen onto different ports so the router can sort the requests and pass them to the right ssh server of your lan.

This is definitely not a simple task to explain it quickly!

True! I've got a fairly good idea of what it is now though, thanks.

this is a reference how to :
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

However, if your routeur is a lill'box, i guess it has some web administration page that would help you a lot.

I guess that's the next angle of attack. It's strange that it worked
before but it doesn't work now, when the only thing I've changed is the
OS on the computer. I'll have a look at the admin page on the router.

But it's clear that you can't ping a machine from you lan from the internet.

You're welcome

Hey, i just thought about something :

after reinstalling your mother's machine, maybe you didn't assign it the same IP. Your router has maybe the right NAT tables (it could explain why it worked before), but it can't find the machine on your LAN because you changed its IP.

That's a possibility. But you should definitely check your router settings.