Re: hplip and its "toolbox"

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:32:46PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Although I've already configured the printer with CUPS and the
> printer works fine, I'm not sure what "...and the hp: CUPS backend
> (installed by hplip)" means.  I would guess that when I pick the
> correct model of HP from the list within the CUPS web installation that
> the "proper PPD" will be used.  Not sure about how to make sure the
> "hp: CUPS backend [is] installed by hplip".

Just last week I installed an new HP printer with hplip.  In CUPS go
to Printers. Then add a printer. Enter a name. You should now see a
small list of possible devices, like parallel port. In my case at
least: if my printer is off I see a device "hp no_device_found". When
my printer is on and I try this again... O dear, I see exactly the
same. :( Well, that might be because the real device is already
occupied by my printer so CUPS doesn't show it as available. On the
Printers page I see "hp:/usb/psc_1310_series..." as the device URI. If
you take the same route I guess you will see something similar.

HTH,

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill