Re: hplip and its "toolbox"

  --received from Henrique de Moraes Holschuh--

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> > Hi, anyone have much HPLIP experience?
>
> I do.

Hi.  Wow, I got the dude, didn't I!?  Thanks!

> > 3845 printer I have attached to the system via USB.  I'm running Sarge
> > by the way.
>
> Get the packages in unstable.  The stuff in sarge is old, buggy, and my
> personal grievance with the arm buildd brokenness.
>
> > I am using CUPS and have hpijs, hplip, foomatic, etc., etc. all that
> > stuff.  The printer is currently configured and working with cups.
>
> > I restart CUPS.  But I run /usr/lib/hplip/toolbox and the software
> > starts with a pop-up box complaining that no HP printers are found.
>
> Really weird. Please test with the unstable packages, and file a bug if you
> still have issues with them.

I tried installing the then unstable version of hplip (the now testing
version).  Still no go so may have to just file a bug report as
suggested.  Maybe you meant installing the unstable versions of other
related packages such as hpijs, foomatic, etc, which I haven't
done.

This is what shows up in the log when I unsuccessfully probe
(hp-probe) for the printer

	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python: hpssd [WARN] Inrecognized URI: ipp://cass159
	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python: hpssd [WARN] Inrecognized URI: socket://cass35
	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python: hpssd [WARN] Inrecognized URI: ipp://cass36
	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python: hpssd [WARN] Inrecognized URI: usb://3845?serial=TH46T120QG040R
	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python:  [WARN] No devices found. If this isn't the result you are expecting,
	Jun 16 14:51:39 localhost python:  [WARN] check to make sure your devices are properly connected.

I don't care about the remote printers (socket:,ipp:) but I don't
see why it can't find the locally attached usb printer,
usb://3845?serial=TH46T120QG040R.

Here it is as clearly recognized in /proc/bus/usb/devices

	T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
	D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
	P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=7504 Rev= 1.00
	S:  Manufacturer=HP
	S:  Product=Deskjet 3840
	S:  SerialNumber=TH46T120QG040R
	C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
	I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
	E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
	E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

In /usr/share/doc/hplip/README.Debian, it says for step three of
the "Quick Install"

	3. Setup your printer through CUPS, using the proper PPD
	(installed by foomatic-filters-ppds), and the hp: CUPS backend
	(installed by hplip).

Although I've already configured the printer with CUPS and the
printer works fine, I'm not sure what "...and the hp: CUPS backend
(installed by hplip)" means.  I would guess that when I pick the
correct model of HP from the list within the CUPS web installation that
the "proper PPD" will be used.  Not sure about how to make sure the
"hp: CUPS backend [is] installed by hplip".

Thanks!

Paul