Re: gunzip and Unexpected EOF

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:59:09AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> tar: Read 4489 bytes from /mnt/root.tar.gz
>
> 	Apparently a special file or something in / makes gzip stop
> before decompressing most of the 900 MB file.  Is there any way to
> cause it to go any farther?

I'm afraid your tarball got corrupted...  In that case - I'm sorry to
say - you're almost certainly outta luck.  After creating a tar.gz
file, the _whole_ tarfile has been piped through gzip, so if any part
of the file gets corrupted afterwards (however tiny - a single bit is
sufficient), the gzip algorithm will not be able to recover any data
later in the stream...

My personal advice to avoid such desaster in future: use 'afio'
instead of tar + gzip.  afio compresses each file seperately, so in
case of partial corruption if the archive, most of the remaining files
can still be recovered...

Sorry for the bad news,

Almut