Re: [Bit OT] Printers

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:35:03PM +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the slightly off topic nature of this question but I thought this was
> probably the best place to ask it.
>
> I'm looking to get a half way decent laser printer for my (very) new small
> business. If possible I would like colour but if a sufficiently good black and
> white is available for the right price I will take that as it will mostly only
> be printing packing sheets.
>
> Ideally the printer will live as a separate device on the network but if that
> isn't an option I am happy enough to run it through cups.
>
> In my ideal world it will also have a duplexer or at least be able to accept
> one.
>
> Finally, it _must_ be well supported by Debian (testing) - hence the reason for
> posting the question here - although I suppose if it's a network connected PS
> printer that wouldn't be such an issue.
>
> I would prefer new and I was hoping to pay up to around £300 ($600).
>
> Many thanks for your sage advice.

Check out newegg (I have no affiliation to them):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112029

The Samsung CLP-550N has been completely awesome.  It speaks native
Postscript (i.e., no print driver necessary, just the .ppd).  It has a
web interface for configuration.  It comes with 4 (CMYK) cartiridges.
The black is a 7000 pages and the color are 5000 pages each.  It can
connect directly to the network via an ethernet cable.  If you are
willing to wait it out some the price, currently $540, should go down (I
purchased mine for $425 from newegg).  But even at $540, it is a
bargain.   It includes duplexing and is fairly quiet.

Also, all of Samsungs printers are supported under Linux.  Some,
however, only through their proprietary Linux driver program since they
are GDI-based printers.  But I choose to vote with my wallet since they
support Linux better than any other printer manufacturer.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr