Re: packages.debian.org down? (June 14 2005)

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:58:13PM -0300, Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> "Carl Fink" <carlf@fink.to> escribió en el mensaje
> [🔎] 20050614175628.GA12020@nitpicking.com">news:[🔎] 20050614175628.GA12020@nitpicking.com...
> > Works fine from here.
> >
> Hnmm, not for me here in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>
> # ping -c3 packages.debian.org
>   PING packages.debian.org (128.101.80.133) 56(84) bytes of data
>   3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2010ms
>

> while...
>
> #ping -c3 www.debian.org
>   PING www.debian.org (194.109.137.218) 56(84) bytes of data
>   3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2019ms
>
> [I ommited some of the ping output]
>
> I get the same results from 2 different PC's (one running Windows XP and the
> other Debian Sarge)
> Both PCs are behind a Linksys Wireless router were the actual cablemodem is
> connected (acting as the gateway IIUC).

You should use tcptraceroute instead of ping to get more informative
output.  That is, tcptraceroute will tell you where the packets are
being lost.  In my case, I had a problem where packets were being lost
close to me and it turned out to be that road construction near the CO
cause some of the cards in the phone company servers/concentrators/whatevers
to shake loose.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez