Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 02:47:19PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- "Steve C. Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> >     Nope.  It's spot on.  Forcing people to learn loads up front to

> No, I've said, it's just another means to configure something.  If
> something is predominately a text-based configuration, then that can be
> just as intuitive as a graphical one, IMO.

    Not true.  To configure with a text file I have to know far more than I
need to know with internal configuration.

a: Where the configuration is located.
b: The format in which the configuration is expected.
c: The possible potions the configuration file expects.

    Internal configuration mitigates A and B and can provide prompts for C.
For example in XFWM I can double click the menu bar to shade the window, close
the window, minimize the window or have it be ignored.  All that information
was presented to me in a simple dropdown.  Granted this could be imparted in
the configuration file through the use of comments but that makes many
configuration files completely unwieldly.  Squid's configuration file is a
prime example for that.  o.O

> > Several less steps.  Less change for breakage.  Tell me, presuming a bad
> > default configuration which prevents access to a shell through the X
> > session and using a thin client for connectivity how exactly is one
> > supposed to effect changes to the configuration file when one can't access
> > the darned thing to modify in the first place?

> Any editor will do at the console -- nano, jed, vim, emacs, etc.

    You're not grasping the scenerio I described.  One, I might add, I didn't
ull out of my ass because I ran into it while working on a thin client
implementation.  Let me explain.

Bad configuration which prevents access to shell through the X session:  No
shell via X.  None.  You hit it and because of a typo in the configuration
file the shell does not start.

Using a thin client:  IE, it provides a display for remote applications to use
but does not have a console of its own.  VNC being the most recognizable but a
hardware X thin client is not out of the question.

    So, nano, jed, vim, emacs, etc all *are useless because you can't use any
of them as there is no access to them*.

> > configuration inside the application itself, readily accessible does not
> > preclude text file configuration.  If you think it does, go try
> > configuring

> I never said it did.

    Sure are acting like it.