Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 02:00:03PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- "Steve C. Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> >     Such as?  You're implying that there's something magical going on
> > without giving specifics upon which to discuss.

> No, I'm merely stating that with most WMs, the emphasis is on yourself to
> define how things are to operate -- and that you yourself have the freedom
> to do so.

    Which is no different than what I am doing save for in presentation.  So
where's the problem here?

> >     No.  You know how it can be configured.  Again, unless you're digging
> > in the code, you don't know how it works.  The point I am making is
> > that

> Code?  Oh, no.  Just reading docs, examples, other people's configs, etc.

   Then you don't _know_ what is going on any more than I do?  You are
configuring it with the options given to you exactly the same I am doing.

> > for a learning experience.  Make it easy.  If I need more than the basic
> > application I can RTFM.  It is your mentality which is why vi is so rough
> > for people to learn up front even though IMHO a variant of vi(m) is one of
> > the best damn editors out there and I use it religiously.  Want to know
> > why?  *Because they made the easy things easy to find and learn.*  The
> > harder concepts I learn when I need to.

> That's a little harsh, isn't it?  Especially to make assumptions about my
> "mentality".

    Nope.  It's spot on.  Forcing people to learn loads up front to be
productive is not as friendly, easy and productive as being able to learn what
is needed, when it is needed and building on a basic set of skills which can
be used immediately.

> > D: in a manner which fits about 80% of my needs?

> Sure -- but it's still subjective.  Which is not a bad thing, but it cannot
> be applied across the board.  If that's what works for you, then that's
> nice.

    I don't see it as subjective.  What I presented was not subjective, it was
objective.  Several less steps.  Less change for breakage.  Tell me, presuming
a bad default configuration which prevents access to a shell through the X
session and using a thin client for connectivity how exactly is one supposed
to effect changes to the configuration file when one can't access the darned
thing to modify in the first place?  Having a good portion of the
configuration inside the application itself, readily accessible does not
preclude text file configuration.  If you think it does, go try configuring
Pine sometime.  However, not having those tools can present problems.  They
should be there to provide a consistant interface within the application
itself.