Re: Request for window manager recommendations

--- "Steve C. Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

>     Not true.  To configure with a text file I have to know far more
> than I
> need to know with internal configuration.
>
> a: Where the configuration is located.

True.

> b: The format in which the configuration is expected.

Which, if you're lucky is in some sort of human-readable form.

> c: The possible potions the configuration file expects.

Which, assuming b. is half-decent, you can usually ascertain.
Although, granted, not always.

> was presented to me in a simple dropdown.  Granted this could be
> imparted in
> the configuration file through the use of comments but that makes
> many
> configuration files completely unwieldly.  Squid's configuration file
> is a
> prime example for that.  o.O

Yes, but squid's config excells with the use of comments.  It explains
everything I needed to know -- giving both explanation and examples,
where it was necessary.  And the defaults are generally not too bad.
Had the comments not been in the configuration file, I'd have had to
read the manual -- something many wouldn't do, I'd imagine --
especially if they need to use or set it up quickly.  So I thought the
comments helped.  Unweildly?  Perhaps.

>     Sure are acting like it.

Welcome to a text-based medium.  Ambiguity, anyone?

-- Thomas Adam.