Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

Le mardi 14 juin 2005 à 03:57 -0700, Alvin Oga a écrit :

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Siju George wrote:
>
> > Yes its partition 2 . what would be an appropriate location???
> > I just followed the BSD way where swap (b) comes immediately after / (a).
> > What is appropriate for linux??
>
> swap can be anywhere on the disks
>
> swap is supposedly never used ...

but it is, aggressively -ie even when you still have boatloads of free
ram

> why would you put swap in between ( / ) files you need hundreds of times
> per hour  and /var files and /usr files ...
> 	the head has to skip over swap space
> 	-- too much moving of the heads ...
>
> - ask 100 people the same questions .. you will get 100 different replies
>   for where to put swap and why ... ( experimental data vs "i heard in
>   the grapevine" )

put your swap at the beginning of the disk
a) no interleaving with proper data
b) this is usually the fastest zone of disks, good for swap

> > so I hope 500 MB is o.k??? or is it more??? :-)
>
> zero or all of the disk for "user"
>
> the system should be able to clean itself
> 	- log rotates in pariticular
>

> > last time I did't check but what would you suggest?? but I've noticed
> > increase upto 100 MB sometimes in a matter of two days.
>
> 100MB/day  --> and you want 5GB ---> that last you about days
> assuming there is no log rotation and compression
>
> /var/log is temporary data
>
> /var/cache or /var/apt is temporary or not .. depending on what you do
> with the files
>
> > Could you please explain this a little more to me?
>
> nah ...

Creating a lot of multiple partition, uh, so as to do like the BSD guys
is a perfect way to burn yourself.

Unless you know exctly your needs in advance, you probably need only
three partitions : swap, system (everything but /home or /var or ...
whatever moves a lot), moving data (/home , etc. ...)

> > Do you suggets I create a seperate /opt partition??? if so how much size??
>
> i always use /opt ... and its "all the disks space" that the system doesnt
> use

nobody has to use opt

/usr/local is perfectly fine

> > I 've only used Ext3 till now because I heard data recover is
> > difficult in all others except ext2.
>
> you should NEVER have to recover data in the first place ..
> 	- something else is wrong if you do
>
> 	- if you like fiddling with inodes and meta-data, that'd be fun

that's good advice ...

> > and also I understand that ReiserFS is better than XFS if the system
> > goes down suddenly due to power failure. Don't know much about JFS :-(
>
> "better" is all relative to what and where's the imperical data or source
> code is what is say
>
> "power failure problems" is pretty much the same problems for all fs
>
> 	- its a matter of how fast can you write your metadata
> 	without corrupting the rest of the fs that was good prior to
> 	the power failing and you have say 2ms to fix it all up and clean
> 	up and exit before the disk write head goes bonkers
>
> 	- writing during a power failure is crazy, even if its to flush
> 	the cache

Don't forget that common hard drives will lose their cache in case of
power failure ; "sync" is not, in this case, what it says

no journalled FS can help - an UPS can.

> c ya
> alvin

the system manager.