Re: Newbie needs help fine tuning sarge

j Mak wrote:
1  My /apt/sources.list is empty, where can i find
repository addresses.

If it is empty, I suggest you first run apt-setup. This will create a first sources.list for you, and will offer you a long list of debian mirrors from all around the world.
These are for official packages only!

You will probably also want to add these to your sources.list:

# mplayer, acroread, LAME, etc.
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main

# Skype, Java 5, Real Player, Flash, etc.
deb http://archive.unable-to-package.org/debian-utp sarge main contrib non-free restricted

And in case you want to use the newest Xfce (the best Desktop ever *g*):

# XFce 4.2+
deb http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main

2.Currntly, I can start synaptic only form the command
line but not from the menu, how can i fix this.

That's very unlikely. If you have installed synaptic with apt, debian will run `update-menus` to put it in the system menu. Maybe you looked in the wrong place. It will probably be located in "Apps-->System"

3.I connet to the internet using pon from the command
line, is there a   graphical interface for pon.

Not that I know of. And what for, if I may ask? The command is `pon <provider>`. Which becomes even less to type if you `alias` it with a custom command. I see no need for a graphical interface here, do you?

--
Matthias Kaeppler