Setting up PostgreSQL on Debian...

I'm a little confused on this one.

I chose to install PostgreSQL during the installation of Debian Sarge.
Both PostgreSQL and pgAccess were installed.

However, when I try to create a new database using pgAccess, I get the
following error:

"Tcl error executing
pg_exec create
database test

is not a valid postgreSQL connection"

Do I need to set up a PostgreSQL user before I can use pgAccess to
create a database? Do I need to do this from the command line? (I
didn't see a menu or command to do so in pgAccess.) I've used
PostgreSQL on Windows successfully, but I set up the users with the
Microsoft Installer for PostgreSQL, and I'm not sure how to accomplish
this on my Debian system.

I searched the web for a tutorial, but the one I found was rather
confusing and had to deal with setting up PostgreSQL for a web server.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Scott