Re: changing from unstable to testing

Anton Bretterklieber wrote:
> I'm using linux from mepis.org. (a mix of unstable and testing)
> What is the best way to change from unstable back to testing?
> New installation?

Downgrades have no official support.  It is too hard of a problem.  I
would probably stick where you are unless you have a specific reason
for moving.  However you can manually downgrade if you take care doing
so.  But this is not for the faint of heart.

Install apt-show-versions.  This will help with the inspection and
that is safe for anyone.

  apt-get install apt-show-versions

Change /etc/apt/sources.list to point to sarge and apt-get update.
Then find a list of all packages that are installed that are newer
than what is available in the archive.

  apt-show-versions --initialize
  apt-show-versions | 'newer than version in archive'

Hopefully that list is small.  Get the exact version for each of those
packages.  Something like the following should work.  Save this output
to a file.

  for p in $(apt-show-versions | grep 'newer' | awk '{print$1}');do dpkg --status $p | echo $p=$(awk '/Version:/{print$NF;exit}'); done

Now that you have a list of all of the packages which are newer on
your machine than in the archive you can force a downgrade of those.
The format of the output is exactly what apt expects.  But THIS IS
COMPLETELY UNTESTED and I take no responsibility if you break your
system!

  apt-get install $(<pkg-version-list)  # WARNING!  May be bad.

The problem I would expect would be packages that have split or
recombined.  Those would need to be treated manually.  I really don't
know what problems you would run into.  But someone who was motivated
should be able to make the downgrade work.

Again, I would use apt-show-versions to understand what is newer on
your system than in sarge.  I would not expect too many things
actually.  Then you can decide what to do about it if anything.  I
would probably stick with what is there.

Bob