Re: Lost an LVM group after dist-upgrade. I'm quite lost.

M. Maas wrote:

>  Couldn't find device with uuid
> 'pxI5Im-z5y1-6hLM-HGKV-aN5T-hfRa-TDNEby'.
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/hda3
>   VG Name               software
>   PV Size               91.73 GB / not usable 0
>   Allocatable           yes (but full)
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              23484
>   Free PE               0
>   Allocated PE          23484
>   PV UUID               oQUI0M-DU1k-6YBb-Wrn9-MG47-gM41-1vndJG
>
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               unknown device
>   VG Name               software
>   PV Size               186.30 GB / not usable 0
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              47694
>   Free PE               36174
>   Allocated PE          11520
>   PV UUID               pxI5Im-z5y1-6hLM-HGKV-aN5T-hfRa-TDNEby

Right the problem was that LVM could not find the uuid of
"pxI5Im-z5y1-6hLM-HGKV-aN5T-hfRa-TDNEby"

Eventually what I did was:
# pvcreate /dev/hdb1 -u pxI5Im-z5y1-6hLM-HGKV-aN5T-hfRa-TDNEby

I then tried to mount it, but the Reiserfs structure was seriously
broken. Even a reiserfsck /dev/software/pool (Yes, the LVM disk, not
the /dev/hdb1 disk.) told me that I needed to run it with
--rebuild-tree.

Ouch...

So I've now run:
# reiserfsck /dev/software/pool --rebuild-tree

This took a long time.

After which I could mount the drive and have my first look... A lot
has been deleted and damaged. Lost+Found directory is full with
stuff... But then again, a lot of other things have been saved as well.

Luckily I make BACKUPS! So even though we have lost data, we've only
lost two weeks or so. (So again: MAKE BACKUPS!)

Thanks everybody for the help.
--
M4rk