Re: Safety issues of cronning "apt-get -y upgrade"

Dave Ewart wrote:

I use apt-get -dy upgrade

This way it just downloads the upgraded packages automatically, and once I get around to connecting to the box I can then select which ones to upgrade one at a time and then finish the job off.

The package cron-apt also does what you describe, negating even the need
to write your own cron job :-)

Dave.

I've had that line in my crontab for about 18 months now, never found the need to install another package to do the same thing ;)

But I would assume cron-apt is a bit more configurable, but meh, it just works(tm) :)