Re: i think I switched to Etch without knowing it

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Three questions (gotta get Monty Python outta this)
>
> 1) User copies /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf to /etc/apt/apt.conf
> and edits to suit?

No.  That is an example configuration file to illustrate features
configuration file and a very few possible features, that you very
likely don't want to change.  You do not want to copy that blindly to
your live configuration.

> 2) Some package(s) creates /etc/apt/apt.conf and edits to suit?

No again.  No package creates /etc/apt/apt.conf that I know about.
And if it did then it would be a bug because that is supposed to be
reserved for the local sysadmin.  If a package did want to create a
configuration for apt then it should place a uniquely named file in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/packagename instead.

> 3) If 2 which package(s)?
>
> >From man-aptconfig:
>
> 	apt-config is an internal program used by various portions
> 	of the APT suite to provide consistent configurability. It
> 	accesses the main configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf  in
> 	a manner that is easy to use by scripted applications.

It also reads all files in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/* too.

Bob