Re: i think I switched to Etch without knowing it

Hi !

I'm actually the one who launched this subject. Arguments have fused quite well. I think now everybody knows about packages versions and repositories.

I let you remember what was the questions i firstly ask.
I run sarge since september and i really appreciate it. I used to update && upgrade once a month. However, i thought i'll stick with sarge when it'd be stable, at least for one year.

By default, source.lists uses the naming "stable", "testing" and "unstable"; However, you can use instead "woody" or "sarge" that would be simlinks that will always point to the right directory, whatever of the eventual switch.

The 06/06/2005, debian performed what i would call a "BIG SWITCH".
As my source.lists was pointing at "testing" and as i'm not spending my day to look at the debian news, i could have switched to etch without even knowing it! Fortunately, my last update && upgrade was from 02/06/2005. However, some friends of mine, did it the 07/06/05 and are now running Etch which they didn't want. They feel it as something quite unfair.

Therefore, i would just recommand debian to use by default the name of the distro version in the sources.list. "BIG SWITCH" happen quite rarely (once every 2 year or something like that), but this should be something to think about.

Oh yeah, i'm thinking about something else that could wake up some more questions...