Re: Console Login

Paul E Condon wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:36:30PM -0400, Strake wrote:
>

>>I just installed sarge but it always boots into a graphical
>>environment and even when I kill it with ctrl+meta+backspace it starts
>>again. How do I boot into console mode?
>>

>There are three display managers any of which may be installed. To
>be sure not to have a graphical boot ever be sure to remove all three.
>They are xdm gdm and kdm .

There's also wdm.

As mentioned by someone else, you can also leave these in place, and
just "shell" out to a virtual terminal (VT) with Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or
-F2...-F6) from the GUI login manager. From there, you can do terminal
stuff, or kill/restart the login manager, or return to the GUI login
manager with Alt-F7, or start a second or third X session (like "startx
-- :1 &" to start a second session, which you would get to with
[Ctrl-]Alt-F8; "startx -- :2 &" to start a third session, under
[Ctrl]Alt-F9, etc (the "Ctrl" is necessary when in a GUI session, not
necessary when in a VT)).

--
Kent