Re: Top posting (a different point of view)

On Saturday 11 June 2005 03.39, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Friday June 10 2005 2:45 pm, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> > More importantly, I think it would be difficult to use
> > bottom-posting with html mail or rtf text or whatever it is called.
>
> Only in inadequate mailers.  Mutt, gnus, kmail and likely most other
> mailers get it right.  If your mailer can't quote properly on a
> markup message, this is a *BAD* bug and should be treated as such.
> Write a patch or bug your vendor (and refuse to pay/do business with
> them until they do what you want).

That might work unless you are forced to use Lotus Notes or MS Outlook
(like most people are, unfortunately), and as far as I know they don't
handle it very well. And I doubt they would accept a patch from me. :-)

> Well, positioning and formatting can be easily handled as:
>
> * Images can be pointed to using footnotes[1]
> * _Underline_
> * *bold*
> * /italic/
> * And of course this list, which demonstrates bullets.
>
> Some MUAs properly understand these conventions and convert them to
> the appropriate formatting automagically.

That sounds like something that could work.. KMail doesn't seem to do that
though. And it will probably take a looong time until MS or Lotus decides
to implement that. There are no alternative clients to Lotus Notes out
there, is there?

> > Sadly Lotus Notes doesn't seem to handle it very well, same as
> > Outlook and the like.
>
> Why did you go with a solution that doesn't work?

It works, but not as I would like it to. And if it was up to me...

Regards

--
Olle Eriksson
mail@olle-eriksson.com | http://www.olle-eriksson.com