Re: Console Login

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:36:30PM -0400, Strake wrote:
> I just installed sarge but it always boots into a graphical
> environment and even when I kill it with ctrl+meta+backspace it starts
> again. How do I boot into console mode?

One way is to remove the display manager package that is installed.
There are three display managers any of which may be installed. To
be sure not to have a graphical boot ever be sure to remove all three.
They are xdm gdm and kdm . Remove these using apt-get, or aptitude.

If you are having trouble with your graphical display environment, you
can get a console using ctrl-alt-F1, login, and then remove your
display managers to stop them from messing about while you debug.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net